Sunday, January 29, 2006

HoCo Hayduke: Preserving Doughregan, Developing Columbia...

I didn't have a lot to say on this topic. Not because I don't think it is important, but that I recognize that I need a lot more information before I express an opinion. This is an area I am admitedly weak, but HayDuke has a lot to say and its worth reviewing.

Mary Catherine Cochran's heart is the in the right place. "I want to see the Carrolls rewarded for 300 years of stewardship". So do I, and Hayduke picks up on this theme as well. I applaud Ms. Cochran's sentiments though I note her concerns about the Carroll's requests. Rewarded they should be, but fairly.

Now I have a lot of sympathy for the Carrolls. As Irish Catholics they lived through a period of our history when Irish and Catholic wasn't much appreciated - believe me it got worse as time went on. But the Carrolls were gentrified. They were land owners and their weren't many Irish Catholics in the world that enjoyed the type of stature and priveleges that they did.

Another reason I am sympathetic is that I am a proud Irish American. I was just awakening and learning to appreciate my Irish heritage when I first learned about the Carroll family. They are among the most admired Irish American Familys in our country. The family produced the first Catholic Bishop on the Continent, and a signer of the declaration of independence.

I want to see them and the Manor survive for another 300 years. What the best course of action is remains to be seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home