Tuesday, February 07, 2006

County Pay Raises

Larry Carson wrote a piece in the Baltimore Sun

With one dissenting vote, the Howard County Council approved substantially higher salaries last night for the next county executive and council.

County Council members will earn $49,000 initially, about a 45 percent increase, and the next executive will receive $147,000. The officials also will receive annual cost-of-living increases tied to the federally determined consumer price index.


Full Story Here

My opinion...

As a County Council member you work a full time job, raise a family, spend all your spare time on County business, and constituent issues. I don't think $49,000.00 is enough.

I personally think County Council should be expanded beyond the current 5 member make up of the Council. We should review making it a full time position. We need the best and brightest in these positions, especially as Howard County continues to grow. I think we would be able to compete better with Montgomery and Baltimore County for business, government research, expanding our technology companies, etc. A part time council serves three masters - Family, full time employment, then the county. We need people focused on County business as a full time job.

As the County Executive. Want the best! Pay for it or they will go somewhere that does pay.

It is easy for Charlie Feaga (Howard County Council District 5) to say it is too much money. Charlie is a nice guy. I like him a lot, but I don't agree with him here.

Charlie is a farmer. Don't confuse that with low-income. I don't know, but I think Charlie does just fine financially. Also, Charlie won't ever serve on the County Council again because of term limits. He is also semi-retired. His perspective is a lot different than a council member who is has a spouse, is still raising a family, and has a boss who (or a business that) wants them to pay more attention to their full time job.

Call Charlie a fiscal conservative. Well so am I. I also know that you get what you pay for. Don't believe me? Take a look at some of our current elected officials at all levels of Government.

I rest my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home